Wednesday, November 5, 2008


There are some art pieces I really want to put up but can't right now because I don't know who will be looking at this and it just might be the recipients!! :o)


So instead, I will post a piece of art that I made using a couple of photos that I took of roses at my house and a frame I purchased at the thrift store.
This is a frame I picked up at a thrift store for $10. It's from Ikea and had a really ugly print inside a plain cream colored matte. I spray painted the print with flat white paint. Then I taped off the inside and spray painted the matte with sage green paint. I had a couple of my rose pictures printed at Costco. They are 8"x 8". I spray mounted them to the white background. I cut an 8x8 square of handmade paper and spray mounted it in the center. Then I looked for a rose quote online. I found one I loved and printed it on vellum which I then....you guessed it...spray mounted to the handmade paper.

I put it all together and restapled the back. I did modify the hanger in order to hang it vertically rather than horizontally as it had been.

I'm quite proud of this piece. It's an excellent example of why I buy things at thrift stores, even if I don't know what I'm going to do with it at the time. I had this frame leaning against the wall for months before I did anything with it.

Total cost: $13. I had the spray paints, spray mount and other tools on hand.



The middle part is a quote I printed on vellum. It reads: "A life with love with have some thorns but a life without love will have no roses". The author is unknown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love what you did with that thrift store print!
Congratulations on starting a blog!